Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Help! Should I drop my college physics class due to fear?

Well, I am majoring in biochemistry and I am a 1st year college student currently taking four courses at a community college. (Physics, Chemistry, Calculus, and English, 21 units) Today is the start of the second week, so I can still drop without a W until next week.



So far, the physics class is rigorous and time consuming. The class is set up as 10% lab 10% quizzes 40% 2 tests and 40% final. For the past week, I have been thinking of dropping the class becuase I fear I will do bad on the tests, which will lead me to earn a bad grade.



I just took a quiz today and I know I failed it. Since I just did bad on my first quiz, in which I concentrated my entire weekend studying for and neglecting other courses, I think that I won't do well on future physics tests and other courses if this keeps up...



I feel like a failure if I drop this class, but I am stressed out by the fear from this class.



What should I do? Stick with the class or Drop?



Help! Should I drop my college physics class due to fear?

Well, you can always take it later right? Having done calculus will help you in physics. So if it is too stressful right now, drop it, master calculus and then try physics again later. If you fail the first quiz now, that means you don't know what's going on, and in physics, the later material will depend on your mastery of the beginning material.



Drop it now before you struggle with this and bring down your grades in your other classes. Do well in Calculus and this way you won't have to worry about the math as much when you take Physics Next time.



Good Luck.



Help! Should I drop my college physics class due to fear?

yes



Help! Should I drop my college physics class due to fear?

this is your first year.Drop classes that matter too much to fail.It is o.k. When you start college you might consider taking a difficult class with a 'skate' class that is also required but one that doesn't put so much stress on you, like drama, art,p.e. things that don't take a lot of homework if any to get through them.Don't load up like you did. change some of theses classes now.



Help! Should I drop my college physics class due to fear?

Tough choice, if you work all year and do poorly on the tests, you could fail... however, if you quit... you'll never succeed. Personally I'd take the shot at failure. There are always hot physics girls looking to make extra money by tutoring.



Okay, not always, but I dream.



Help! Should I drop my college physics class due to fear?

If you're taking it, I imagine it must be for some reason. Is it a required part of your major? Are you thinking of doing pre-med? If you really need to take it, it's not going to get any easier next year. I'd recommend getting a tutor pronto and sticking with it if you need the course. But if it's not required, go ahead and drop it.



Help! Should I drop my college physics class due to fear?

just keep going



Help! Should I drop my college physics class due to fear?

Never give in to fear - conquer the fear instead. Talk with the professor and TAs to figure out why the class is so difficult for you. Get peer tutoring and commit yourself to understanding the material.



And honestly, so what if you flunk the class? It's not the end of the world. You can always take the class again. A few bad grades won't follow you the rest of your life.



Or, you could look at it a totally different way, and focus on your overall education. Perhaps four classes is too much for your first semester of college work - drop the class for now, and then enroll for it later when you have more time to dedicate to it. Most colleges recommend that incoming freshman start with a lighter load of only three classes until they adjust to the demanding workload of college. So give yourself permission to re-prioritize and decide for yourself.



Help! Should I drop my college physics class due to fear?

Wait until you get the quiz back so you can see how you did relative to the class. For what you thought qualifies as a failing grade might actually have curved you into the average grade range. On the other hand, if you found yourself at the bottom still, then you might want to seriously reconsider being in the class. One thing to note is that physics isn't ever going to be easy and it's always fast-paced so if this course is a requirement then you're only putting off the inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
mortgage loan